Subject-verb agreement is a fundamental concept in the English language that ESL learners must master to communicate effectively. Correct subject-verb agreement ensures that the subject and verb in a sentence match in number and person, making sentences grammatically correct and easier to understand.
Below are some exercises that ESL learners can use to improve their subject-verb agreement skills.
Exercise 1: Basic Subject-Verb Agreement
In this exercise, identify the correct verb form that agrees with the subject. For example:
1. The cat _________ on the roof.
The correct answer is `is` because `cat` is a singular subject and requires the singular verb `is.`
Practice the following sentences to improve your basic subject-verb agreement:
1. The birds __________ in the trees.
2. The flowers __________ in the garden.
3. The students __________ in the classroom.
4. The book __________ on the shelf.
5. The cars __________ in the parking lot.
Exercise 2: Tricky Subject-Verb Agreement
This exercise focuses on tricky subject-verb agreement cases. For example:
1. Neither the teacher nor the students _____ the answer.
The correct answer is `know` because `teacher` and `students` are plural, and `neither…nor` requires the plural verb `know.`
Practice the following sentences to improve your tricky subject-verb agreement:
1. The committee __________ decided on the issue.
2. The group of students __________ going on a field trip.
3. The percentage of voters who __________ declined in recent years.
4. The number of tourists __________ increasing every year.
5. The list of items to be discussed __________ on the agenda.
Exercise 3: Indefinite Pronouns
This exercise focuses on subject-verb agreement with indefinite pronouns. For example:
1. Each of the students _____ a different opinion.
The correct answer is `has` because `each` is an indefinite pronoun that requires a singular verb.
Practice the following sentences to improve your indefinite pronoun subject-verb agreement:
1. Someone __________ the doorbell.
2. Everybody __________ their own opinion.
3. Anybody __________ to attend the meeting.
4. Many __________ to travel during the holidays.
5. None of the students __________ the correct answer.
In conclusion, mastering subject-verb agreement is essential for ESL learners as it allows them to communicate effectively in English. These exercises can help improve subject-verb agreement skills and build confidence in writing and speaking English. Practice consistently, and soon enough, you`ll be communicating like a pro!